Monday, September 23, 2024

Judges 9: In Writing

 My old garden was guarded

by the silver-scaled armor

of two olive trees, that lobbed

globed black grenades all over the floor

which my baby stuffed in his mouth

black grease bursting on my fingers

as I forced them out. 

No flowers grew by those gnarled roots

poisoned by the trees' bitter solitude. 


The man who planted that garden

gathered the olives carefully in jars

mixing some with garlic

some with the bright red peppers 

he grew in pickle jars on the sill. 

The first year I diligently gathered

them in a pillowcase.

washed them in the rain,

and watched white mold bloom.  


In my new garden,

I dreamt of figs, open-palmed

and generous. The fruit, 

purpling and swelling

till they burst with milk,

and the sweet scent of green.

But my neighbor warns their roots dig deep

overturn the floor.

They need to be planted far away, he says.

No where near a home. 


So now I look at vines,

how they curl their fingers around every support

gripping for dear life

how they climb and climb

covering every scar

in riotous green and clusters

redeeming the ruin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment